Margaret Eve was born on July 29, 1962. She was one of six children with two brothers and three sisters. She knew from a very early age that she wanted to become an Ontario Provincial Police Officer. With the goal of achieving her dream, Marg enrolled in a three year Criminology and Law Enforcement program at Conestoga College in Kitchener where she graduated in 1982.

After graduation, Marg served as an Auxiliary Constable in Sebringville. On October 28, 1985 her dream was fulfilled and she started as a Provincial Constable at the Sombra Detachment. She served two summer stints at the Grand Bend Summer Detachment in 1988 and ’89. On August 15, 1994 she was promoted to Sergeant and transferred to the Chatham Communications Centre.

During here time in the Comm. Centre she also received other assignments. She was instrumental in organizing and setting up the Western Region Traffic Team. She was also assigned to investigate historic sexual assaults on Walpole Island First Nation Territory.

On 26 July 1999 she was transferred to the Chatham-Kent Detachment as a Team Leader.

During her career with the OPP, Margaret was a Coach Officer, she was a qualified Radar Instructor and she was also trusted for some of the most stressful and personal tasks that our officers could be involved with. She was a Workplace Harassment and Discrimination Advisor – which means that others could call her confidentially for advice. She was trusted, and many people confided in her and asked her for direction. Margaret was also a Crisis Negotiator – she dealt with others in the most stressful times and tried to reason with them and encourage them.

Margaret always had a positive attitude and could make the best out of any situation. She’s received many, many tributes and accolades from members of the community thanking her for her excellent investigations, but most of all her compassion in dealing with victims, as well of offenders.

Margaret was an incredible person and a true leader. She lived by two mottoes, the first being “Lead by Example” – and she did. The second was “Do it Right or not at all” – and when she did something, it was done right. Much of Margaret’s success was because others quickly recognized that she was genuine and sincere.

She served on the Executive of Branch No. 1 of the O.P.P. Association as Treasurer for nine years. She was a strong advocate of doing what was right for our members and it was very important to her that they were always treated fairly and with dignity and respect.

On the afternoon of June 7, 2000, on a deadly stretch of Highway #401 (known as “Carnage Alley”) in Chatham-Kent, Sergeant EVE made the ultimate sacrifice.

That afternoon, Sergeant Eve along with Constables Brad Sakalo and Patti Pask, checked a vehicle that was suspected to have been involved in an armed robbery in Windsor. While talking with the occupants of the car, a driver of a transport truck, drove directly into the three police cruisers, the suspect vehicle and all 5 people standing on the shoulder of the Highway. All were rushed to the hospital with serious injuries. Margaret was air lifted to the Trauma Unit at the London Health Sciences Centre.

For two days family and friends kept vigil, hoping and praying, while Margaret fought for her life. Unfortunately, on June the 9th, 2000 at 12:03 p.m., she lost that fight and died of a massive brain injury, which she could not recover from.

Approximately 4,500 police officers and civilians attended the funeral service, held in an arena, which was prepared as a Catholic Church. The truck driver was charged with Criminal Negligence Causing Death and other related charges.

Margaret was always full of energy and excitement. She loved to have fun and laugh. She was a strong, confident woman, but at the same time was full of emotion. She was a natural leader. She served the citizens of Ontario with dignity and honour and was very proud to wear the O.P.P. uniform. Margaret was a tall, beautiful woman, with a big warm smile, a wonderful sense of humour, and an enduring laugh.

Margaret’s love of the O.P.P. was only surpassed by her love for her family. They were her first priority and she loved them deeply. Her husband John, and her children Ryan (age 7) and Colleen (age 3) were her pride and joy. She was very proud of them.

Margaret was a hero in life and in death. While we suffered a great loss, six people, somewhere, received the ultimate gift, the gift of life, through the Organ Donor Program. One was a young baby who received a life saving second chance. Margaret lives on – and that’s not surprising.

Margaret was a wife, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, a good friend to many, a police sergeant, a fraternal sister, and a very special person indeed. She touched many people in many different ways and has left a void that will never be filled. We will miss her.