- Oct 6, 2021
Norfolk County OPP Officer Dragged by Vehicle Making Arrest
Our thoughts are with our OPP officer dragged by a vehicle, and the members involved to apprehend the suspect, in Simcoe, Norfolk County on Oct 5/2021. Three police vehicles were damaged. Thankfully our member was treated and released from hospital.
Our thoughts are with our OPP officer dragged by a vehicle, and the members involved to apprehend the suspect, in Simcoe, Norfolk County on Oct 5/2021. Three police vehicles were damaged. Thankfully our member was treated and released from hospital. #NorfolkOPP #OPP #Wilsonville https://t.co/rcAiC263kz— OPPA (OPP Association) (@OPPAssociation) October 6, 2021
See below for official news release from the Norfolk County OPP Detachment.
FROM/DE: Norfolk County Detachment DATE: October 6, 2021
OFFICER DRAGGED BY VEHICLE TRANSPORTED TO HOSPITAL
28 Year Old Driver Facing Several Charges
NORFOLK COUNTY, ON) – On Tuesday, October 5, 2021, at approximately 7:03 p.m., an officer with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Norfolk County Detachment attempted to take an individual into custody at a Queensway East address in Simcoe.
During the interaction the officer was dragged by a Sports Utility Vehicle which then fled from the area. The vehicle was located on Cockshutt Road at which time it became involved in a collision with three police vehicles and construction equipment near Concession 14 of Townsend. The driver was taken into custody without incident and transported to a local area hospital for precautionary measures. The officer was also taken hospital to be treated for minor injuries.
As a result, police have charged 28-year-old, Stevy September Lynn STAATS of Wilsonville, Ontario with the following offences:
• Flight from peace officer,
• Mischief over $5,000 (three counts),
• Mischief under $5,000,
• Assault a peace officer with a weapon (three counts),
• Escape lawful custody,
• Failure to stop after accident,
• Possession for the purpose of trafficking Cocaine,
• Possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to prohibition order (two counts),
• Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose,
• Resist peace officer,
• Occupant of motor vehicle knowing there was a prohibited or restricted weapon,
• Operation while impaired by alcohol or drugs, and
• Failure to comply with undertaking.
The accused is being held in custody and is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice, Simcoe at a later date.
Contact: Acting Sergeant Ed Sanchuk